Get to Know Our Instructors: Martie Gunnoe
Martie Gunnoe is a Studio Instructor for HCI Sports & Fitness. One of the newer members of our Studio team, Gunnoe teaches a variety of fun and challenging group fitness classes to help anyone hit their personal fitness goals. We asked her a few questions about her experience teaching classes, her own personal fitness, and how she got her start at HCI. Read below to get to know if you’d like to take one of Martie’s classes in the Studio!
1. When and how did you get your start in fitness? What drew you to working in fitness?
I became a certified instructor at the age of 45! I love teaching dance fitness for all fitness levels and enjoy seeing my class attendees have fun!
2. What drew you to HCI? What were you doing before teaching at HCI?
My family and I or some of the founding members when it first opened, I have loved watching the HCI community grow! It’s a great place to teach at! HCI has everything you need as a Fitness Instructor to offer the best classes.
3. What was the first class you taught? What do you teach now?
Dance Fitness! I still teach it along with Strength and Mat Pilates!
4. How would you define your instructor style?
Energetic and fun but also informative and welcoming! I want everyone in my classes to feel good when they leave!
5. Have you learned any important lessons as an instructor?
Absolutely! Group Fitness is about community! It’s connection and not perfection!
6. What can members expect when taking your class?
A full body workout, fun for all, and modifications for all fitness levels.
7. What is a health/wellness benefit that a class you teach can offer?
Dance fitness is great for mind-body connection! It keeps you on your toes and it’s a fun cardio workout!
8. Any memorable moments in one of your classes?
I love it when someone comes to class and after class says “that was so much fun!” and they are dripping with sweat!
9. What is your typical weekly fitness routine?
I try to get at least 5-6 days of exercise in a week! 2 cardio, 2 strength and 2 Pilates. It doesn’t happen every week, but that’s my goal.
10. What are your fitness goals at the moment?
I will be 50 years old in a little over a year, and I want to keep doing what I do! Staying active and healthy!
11. What are your fitness goals for the future?
Lose 5 pounds….lol! But seriously, continue to be healthy and increase muscle.
12. What hobbies or other jobs do you have outside of teaching?
I work as an account manager for a healthcare staffing company, and I used to be a travel nurse! I love helping others!
13. What is something that motivates you personally?
Put some good music on and I’m ready to move!